Req Number: 18378BR
The incumbent brings an exceptional level of knowledge in the fundamentals of simulation and modelling, centered on three main domains: (i) the conventional steady state and dynamic plants simulation (e.g., flowsheeting), (ii) the refinery/petchem planning and the economic optimization of their integration and (iii) the development of (advanced) kinetic/mass transfer reactor models. The incumbent is considered Aramco’s foremost expert in simulation and modelling. The incumbent is instrumental in the realization of the full value of modern modelling science, which enables simulations today to be true digital twin of the plants. The incumbent anticipates future trends/developments in simulation and modelling, and stays abreast of new developments in his/her area of expertise. The incumbent enhances the technical reputation of Aramco in the domain of simulation and modelling in industry and academia.
Provides superior technical insight to the R&D program, guidance to the R&D project leaders and to the plant technologists in the area of simulation and modelling, and to plant technologists for the continuous performance improvements of their units. The incumbent is Aramco’s ultimate technical authority on simulation and modelling, and connects with/brings in the world’s best simulation engineers when/as needed. The incumbent works alone and does not have formal line management responsibility. A significant portion of his/her time is devoted to the quality coaching and scientific guidance of R&D project leaders and senior technologists involved in modelling. As a member of Aramco R&T Advisory Council, the incumbent regularly reviews the technology needs from Aramco R&D, plants, and business in terms of simulation and modelling, and shapes the most effective corresponding sourcing strategy and deployment.
Frequent independent contact with all levels of management in R&D, technology, manufacturing and business. Build networks of excellence with outside knowledge centers, institutes, research centers, innovation councils, private organizations, etc., and internal functions/business groups (e.g., Business, P&CSD, FPD, planning and scheduling, HSE, etc.), to create the portfolio of validated models. Be a member of editorial/consultative boards of leading organizations and journals related to simulation and modelling. May serve as an Aramco spokesperson on technical matters related to his/her expertise in simulation and modelling.
1. Chemical Engineering degree (MSc., Ph.D.).
2. Minimum of 20 years of experience in simulation and modelling: has a high level quality track record of modelling and supporting disciplines, such as planning and scheduling, asset planning, APC and RTO.
3. The candidate has undisputed scientific/technical authority within Aramco, and a broad technical credibility outside Aramco: is a member of editorial/consultative committees of leading journals/associations related to simulation and modelling.
4. The candidate has an extensive track record initiating, guiding, and conducting advanced technical projects and developments with an ability to connect technology, R&D, and operational excellence.
5. The candidate has the vision, the energy, and the entrepreneurship spirit to develop new technologies and products.
6. The candidate has the ability to anticipate, appreciate, catalyze and make the most of changes and new developments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Provides superior technical insight/guidance to R&D program and plant operation (complex troubleshooting, critical project elements) as Aramco’s ultimate technical authority in simulation and modelling, and connects with/brings in the world’s best experts when/as needed.
2. Drives new high quality science and technical developments in the domain of simulation and modelling relevant to Aramco’s R&D, technology, and business needs including:
• (i) petchem flowsheeting and thermodynamics group: maximize the value of the models in terms of quality thermodynamics basic properties/data – for R&D purposed and to ensure a full coverage of quality models for all refinery/petchem plants to serve the following purposes:
1. Build and validate high fidelity flowsheeting models for all plants.
2. Monitor/improve complex unit operation/troubleshoot equipment and process underperformance, and develop corresponding model supported solutions.
3. Develop capabilities related to simulations, training new recruits, implementing best practices, and bringing uniformity in simulations.
4. Audit simulation files generated by sites.
• (ii) refinery unit modelling, configuration, LP planning/scheduling and economic optimization: e.g., supports the development and maintains the refinery unit operation models, validates B+D vectors at unit operation, and overall economics/optimum at refinery level, supports the generation of refinery configuration options of the future.
• (iii) reactor & kinetic modelling, fluid flow and CFD: supports the development of kinetic models for the refinery and petchem plants, tracks and assessed the benefits of the potential adoption of new modelling tools and techniques, by connecting to leading simulation teams/companies in the world. Finally, the incumbent supports the CFD technologists, who have a strong track record of troubleshooting complex issues in plants and/or of developing improved designs of internals, etc.
3. Is the “simulation and modelling” thought leader and oversees/assists the quality of learning and development interventions imparted w.r.t. to the discipline (both within as well as outside). Focus on building skills for the present as well as the future.
4. Builds networks of excellence – extramural partnerships with outside knowledge centers, institutes, research centers, innovation councils, private organizations, etc. And internal functions/business groups like (Business, R&D, P&CSD, FPD, HSEF, APC/RTO, planning and scheduling, etc.) For creating a pool of ideas and initiatives in the simulation and modelling domain.
5. Leads in the fundamental mass transfer area for attracting young talent, and oversees the development programs/initiatives to build their technical competencies/excellence.
6. Builds and maintains relationships with major simulation and modelling knowledge providers for technical collaboration.
7. Enhances the technical reputation of Aramco in simulation and modelling with major science/technical bodies, institutes, committees/boards and conferences.
8. As a member of the Technology Advisory Council, participates to the development of Aramco R&D and technology strategy and regularly review the alignment of Aramco R&D and Technology agenda/priorities to fulfill Aramco technology needs, positions, and sourcing.